Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lobster Roll-Style Crab Salad Sandwiches

I got the idea for this recipe while researching New England lobster rolls for an upcoming dinner. Like most people, I can’t afford to keep lobster, or real crabmeat for that matter, in my freezer, so I generally suffice with imitation crabmeat, especially when it goes on sale at the grocery store. I love using the imitation crabmeat on lettuce salads and in wraps, but had never prepared it like this before. I came across this recipe for the crab salad and it sounded intriguing, and not cloying like a lot of them seem to be. I changed a few things, based on what I had on hand and my own personal tastes, but I think this was a really good base recipe!
The next part was the bread… Of course, you can serve this on croissants and it will taste delicious! But, because I had lobster rolls on the brain, and leftover potato bread from roasted vegetable paninis, I thought it would be a really yummy variation on this particular classic. It was delicious!! If you have the New England style hot dog buns, feel free to use those instead, and prepare them just as you would for lobster rolls!
What I really enjoyed the most was how light and refreshing the crab salad was, and in combination with the lightly buttered and toasted bread, it was a wonderful combination. And what’s even better is that this is a great way to dress up the imitation crabmeat and make it taste a little more gourmet. Of course, if you have access to and can afford fresh crabmeat, I would highly encourage you to use that! But, most importantly, I want to emphasize that good food can be accessible to anyone, even if you don’t have a lot of money. For the most part, the ingredients in this recipe are all things that I always have on hand, so it was a cinch to put this together!

Printable Recipe

1 (1½ lb.) pkg. imitation crabmeat
¼ c. Miracle Whip
½ c. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. dried green onions
1 Tbsp. dried minced onions
1 Tbsp. finely chopped onions
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 tsp. prepared horseradish
3 tsp. fresh parsley, minced
Potato Bread, toasted on one side or croissants

Break the crab into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside
Combine the Miracle Whip, mayonnaise, onions, lemon juice, horseradish, and two tablespoons of parsley in a small mixing bowl; mix well. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the crabmeat and gently fold to combine everything. (The mixture isn’t going to be mayonnaise laden, but will have more than enough.)
To toast the bread, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Toast in a skillet, as you would for toasted cheese sandwiches, and sandwich the crabmeat mixture between the untoasted sides of the breads, sprinkle with the remaining parsley, and serve.

6 comments:

  1. You've just reminded me of lovely lobster rolls I had in Boston. I love your crab version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've not ever had a real, authentic lobster roll, but I'm just dying to try one... I'm working on a recipe to make my own and then I'll be posting that here! I had a friend near Boston send me some of the split-top rolls, so I experimented with those a little bit. I'm sad to say that they're all gone, but this potato bread is quite tasty as a substitute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely delicious! Looks SOOO yummy! There is this place at the Cape that has the most amazing lobster rolls. So craving this now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum, yum....I know what I am making for dinner :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Ravie! They were really very good! I've already decided that my next vacation is going to be to Maine, where I will gorge myself on fresh lobster and other seafood until I can't hardly move. Then, Europe and Alaska after that... :-)

    Lauren, you're very welcome! The really great thing about these is that many people have all, or almost all, of the ingredients on hand at all times. And they're so light and refreshing!! You'll have to let me know what you think after dinner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I realize this can be to some extent off-topic even so
    had to ask. Will managing a well-established web site such
    as the one you have please take a great deal of perform?
    We are fresh to blog even so perform produce during my log daily.
    I’d choose to start a blog site so i could write about my personal practical knowledge in
    addition to vistas on-line. Remember to tell me when you've got any kind of ideas or even tricks for brand-new aspiring web site masters. Have fun here!
    Feel free to surf my web site - Treating Genital Warts

    ReplyDelete