Friday, May 13, 2011

Pineapple Sorbet and My First Blog Award!

I got the idea for this sorbet while standing at my kitchen sink one day, putting the spoiled pineapple that I wasn’t able to eat down the garbage disposal. I live by myself, so it can be difficult to eat so much food in a short period of time…
My friend Steph and I had been talking just before I had the epiphany about this sorbet, and had been discussing how great pineapple is, especially with chocolate. And is there really a better way to preserve fresh pineapple than to put it to use like this?! I think not!
I had done a search on the internet for pineapple sorbet, and even read the recipes in the manual that came with my ice cream maker, but when I tried the most common recipe I found myself a little disappointed with the results. The majority of those recipes called for a simple syrup made of sugar and water and then mixing lemon juice into the watered down pineapple mixture. Blah… It just didn’t taste right. So, I made my way back to the grocery store for another fresh pineapple and some pineapple juice, to try out my new idea! I figured, if you’d normally add a sugar syrup to pureed pineapple, then it would probably not be much different to use juice instead. Texturally, it came out just the same as the other, but it tasted so much better, and had pure pineapple flavor! I made some chocolate pineapple garnishes to go with my sorbet, but feel free to use any chocolate you’d like with yours. Like a drizzle of chocolate syrup... YUM!!

Printable Recipe

4 c. fresh pineapple chunks, pureed
1 c. pineapple juice

Place the pineapple juice in a small saucepan and heat just to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes; cool. Combine with the pureed pineapple. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. (You don’t want the sorbet completely hardened, but enough that it will hold its shape when formed.) Feel free to serve garnished with plenty of chocolate, if you’d like!



Now onto some blog awards… I would like to thank Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny for this Versatile Blogger Award! This is my first blog award, so I’m especially excited about it!! Please, go check out her blog, if you haven’t already, and check out her yummy food!


As I accept this award I must first note the rules... (This goes for all who receive this award as well.) You must thank the person who awarded you by linking back to their post; you have to say 7 things about yourself (let's assume they should be interesting); and, last but certainly not least, you have to pass the award down to 15 other new or newly discovered by me blogs.
So, here we go!
1. I LOVE to read, and my favorite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice.
2. I could and have watched the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth) over and over again. And it’s approximately 5 hours long! In my opinion, this is a far superior version of the movie, as it remains as true to the book as possible…
3. I am almost always disappointed in movies when I’ve read the books first. People WILL sit through a movie that’s a few hours long, if it’s good!
4. I am terrified of dying a horrific death. As a result, I don’t find roller coasters and spinning rides altogether enjoyable.
5. I LOVE sushi!! And, since I promised, I will be making it sometime this month!
6. I have an emphatic love affair with all things food related. I live in an apartment and have adequate kitchen storage for any normal person… But, for me, it’s not nearly enough. I have kitchen stuff stored in two other closets throughout my apartment!
7. I recently acquired an enameled red cast iron Dutch oven, which I have wanted for forever! I’ve lovingly named her Lucy, after my favorite redhead (Lucille Ball)… I haven’t gotten to make anything in it yet, but the first thing I am going to make (and blog about) is Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon! :-)

And for my 15 fellow foodie bloggers whom I think deserve this award…

Kevin - Closet Cooking
Chef Dennis - More Than A Mount Full
Becca - A Fox In The Kitchen
Marc - Grill Adventures By BroadcastMarc
Mel - Cooking with Mel
Amber - Enjoy Cupcakes
Jamie - My Baking Addiction
Todd & Diane - White On Rice Couple
Jourdan - Cuit Sans Four
Dee - Deelicious Sweets
Kim - Liv Life
Celeste - Sugar & Spice by Celeste
Laurie - The Baking Bookworm
Lauren - L-Mo Cooks and Reads
Josie - Daydreamer Desserts

Congrats, foodie friends! Thank you for all of the inspiration and encouragement - you deserve this award!! Now, go and spread the love! :-)

16 comments:

  1. Your sorbet looks and sounds delish, Sandie! The chocolate garnish adds a wonderful touch of elegance to it, too!

    I'm so touched and honored to be given an award by you! Thank you so much for your support and love. I will definitely pass on the love in an upcoming blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Becca! I was quite pleased with how it turned out!

    And you're very welcome! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandie, I'll absolutely accept and award!! And I'm truly honored that you chose me! I enjoyed reading your seven points about yourself and can identify with the "Movies and books" issue.. I love to read as well and have rarely found a movie that was as good as the book.
    Thanks again for thinking of me! Your sorbet sounds divine... we love pineapple anything, this will most definitely be on our summer menu, though I'm not so sure I would be able to make the garnishes as pretty as you did! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    I'm glad I'm not the only freak who would rather stick her nose in a book and use her imagination... ;-P Have you read/seen the movie for Water For Elephants yet? I've done both, and I am more than just a little disappointed with the movie... While it was good, it really didn't follow the book as much as I would have liked. My problem with the movies, specifically the ones based on books, is this: Millions of people sat through Titanic, which was over 3 hours long, so what's the problem making longer movies that stay more true to the books they're based one?! I just don't understand!
    Thank you for the compliments! I cheated on the garnishes and just piped melted chocolate onto sheets of waxed paper that were taped to outlines of the pineapple... And, voila, I have chocolate pineapple garnishes! :-)
    And you're most welcome! It's my pleasure to share my favorite blogs with others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first time visiting your blog and I like it a lot! :) This sorbet sounds refreshing and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandie, Thank you SO much for the blog award! You totally rock! I'm currently in the process of moving across the country so as soon as I hit my final destination I will blog about how awesome you are and link back to you! Again, THANK YOU for thinking about me!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha, thank you for the compliments! I hope you will come back often!! :-)

    Melissa, you're very welcome! And thank you!! And don't worry about blogging about it right away... Moving can be stressful enough, so whenever you're ready! This was actually supposed to come before the Chipotle Bacon Cheeseburgers I made, but those were so good that I just had to share them right way!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum this looks delicious, I love your blog title, Congrats on your award! I am now a follower. =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Free Spirit Eater (I couldn't find your real name...)! I was pretty stoked about receiving my first blog award!! I am now a follower of your blog as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sandie for the award!!

    As for the books into movies issue -- As a book lover of the first order I tend to love books over movie adaptations but there are a few that did a good job taking book to movie. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter movies (I'm a huge HP fan) as well as Lord of the Rings (I couldn't get through the first book ... too much whom begat whom stuff). I always read the book before seeing the movie. No shock there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandie - Thank you SO much for this award!! I feel so honored to get this from you. Thank you for reading and supporting my blog. It means so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurie,
    You're welcome! I've never read the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings books, but I have seen the movies. Truthfully, they're not really my style of books, so I never got into them before, although I've thought about reading the Harry Potter series now that I've seen that movies... I love Kristin Hannah's books, and they always make me cry! :-)

    Celeste,
    You are most welcome!! Yours was one of the first blogs I started following, and I wanted you to know how much I love what you write! And I also feel honored to have you following me and my blog. Welcome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the award and thanks for the award!

    A sweet and tangy pineapple sorbet would hit the spot on a warm summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kevin,
    You're very welcome! And thank you! I was thinking the very same thing, about it being a wonderful summer afternoon treat... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Sandie

    Congratulations on your award and thank you for sharing some facts about yourself with us, I love learning more about my friends! I to am usually disappointed by movies after reading the book.
    Thank you so much for thinking of me to pass on your first award, I am truly honored, and I am so sorry it took me so long to stop by, it has been such a hectic week, I just lost all track of time....
    Hope your week is going well my friend!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Chef Dennis!
    Thank you! And you're very welcome!!
    No worries! I completely understand... My week has been pretty hectic, and so I haven't been getting out as many blog posts as normal. But, it's been a good week! Even though I don't have any formal training as a chef, I was hired for a chef position at a local restaurant which is really nice and serves wonderful food! I started on Monday... I feel so blessed to have been given the opportunity!! I hope your week is going equally well! :-)

    ReplyDelete