I got the idea for this sorbet while standing at my kitchen sink one day, putting the spoiled pineapple that I wasn’t able to eat down the garbage disposal. I live by myself, so it can be difficult to eat so much food in a short period of time…
My friend Steph and I had been talking just before I had the epiphany about this sorbet, and had been discussing how great pineapple is, especially with chocolate. And is there really a better way to preserve fresh pineapple than to put it to use like this?! I think not!
I had done a search on the internet for pineapple sorbet, and even read the recipes in the manual that came with my ice cream maker, but when I tried the most common recipe I found myself a little disappointed with the results. The majority of those recipes called for a simple syrup made of sugar and water and then mixing lemon juice into the watered down pineapple mixture. Blah… It just didn’t taste right. So, I made my way back to the grocery store for another fresh pineapple and some pineapple juice, to try out my new idea! I figured, if you’d normally add a sugar syrup to pureed pineapple, then it would probably not be much different to use juice instead. Texturally, it came out just the same as the other, but it tasted so much better, and had pure pineapple flavor! I made some chocolate pineapple garnishes to go with my sorbet, but feel free to use any chocolate you’d like with yours. Like a drizzle of chocolate syrup... YUM!!
4 c. fresh pineapple chunks, pureed
1 c. pineapple juice
Place the pineapple juice in a small saucepan and heat just to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes; cool. Combine with the pureed pineapple. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. (You don’t want the sorbet completely hardened, but enough that it will hold its shape when formed.) Feel free to serve garnished with plenty of chocolate, if you’d like!
Now onto some blog awards… I would like to thank Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny for this Versatile Blogger Award! This is my first blog award, so I’m especially excited about it!! Please, go check out her blog, if you haven’t already, and check out her yummy food!
As I accept this award I must first note the rules... (This goes for all who receive this award as well.) You must thank the person who awarded you by linking back to their post; you have to say 7 things about yourself (let's assume they should be interesting); and, last but certainly not least, you have to pass the award down to 15 other new or newly discovered by me blogs.
So, here we go!
1. I LOVE to read, and my favorite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice.
2. I could and have watched the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth) over and over again. And it’s approximately 5 hours long! In my opinion, this is a far superior version of the movie, as it remains as true to the book as possible…
3. I am almost always disappointed in movies when I’ve read the books first. People WILL sit through a movie that’s a few hours long, if it’s good!
4. I am terrified of dying a horrific death. As a result, I don’t find roller coasters and spinning rides altogether enjoyable.
5. I LOVE sushi!! And, since I promised, I will be making it sometime this month!
6. I have an emphatic love affair with all things food related. I live in an apartment and have adequate kitchen storage for any normal person… But, for me, it’s not nearly enough. I have kitchen stuff stored in two other closets throughout my apartment!
7. I recently acquired an enameled red cast iron Dutch oven, which I have wanted for forever! I’ve lovingly named her Lucy, after my favorite redhead (Lucille Ball)… I haven’t gotten to make anything in it yet, but the first thing I am going to make (and blog about) is Julia Child’s Boeuf Bourguignon! :-)
And for my 15 fellow foodie bloggers whom I think deserve this award…
Kevin - Closet Cooking
Chef Dennis - More Than A Mount Full
Becca - A Fox In The Kitchen
Marc - Grill Adventures By BroadcastMarc
Mel - Cooking with Mel
Amber - Enjoy Cupcakes
Jamie - My Baking Addiction
Todd & Diane - White On Rice Couple
Jourdan - Cuit Sans Four
Dee - Deelicious Sweets
Kim - Liv Life
Celeste - Sugar & Spice by Celeste
Laurie - The Baking Bookworm
Lauren - L-Mo Cooks and Reads
Josie - Daydreamer Desserts
Congrats, foodie friends! Thank you for all of the inspiration and encouragement - you deserve this award!! Now, go and spread the love! :-)