Monday, February 14, 2011

Basic Pie Crust

I don't know about anyone else, but I have always found homemade pie crust to be a bit of a pain in the ass! For the most part, I just go and buy the little red box of 2 pre-made pie crusts. They're already mixed and rolled out for you, you just have to unroll and take a rolling pin to them a little bit and you're ready to go! Fantastic!!
The only problem I have with them is...chemicals and artificial crap. I know that pretty much everything has stabilizers and everything in them, but I've really been trying to get away from all of the pre-processed crap and eat more natural foods. So, I ventured into making my own pie crust again. I really liked this recipe, which I believe came from Martha Stewart, because the instructions include using a food processor to mix all of the ingredients, which is really quite handy. Another great thing about making your own pie crust is that you get to control what ingredients go into it. So, since I'm trying to eat healthier, I replaced some of the flour with whole wheat flour and used Smart Balance for some of the butter. Like anything else, make it your own! :-)



1¼ c. all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar
½ c. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 - 4 Tbsp. ice water

In a food processor, briefly pulse flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Don’t over mix.
Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic over dough; press to shape into a 1-inch-thick disk. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll dough to a 14-inch round with a floured rolling pin. Wrap dough around rolling pin, discarding paper; unroll over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit into bottom and up sides of plate (do not stretch dough).
Using kitchen shears, trim dough to a 1-inch overhang. Fold under itself to form a rim, and press to seal. Using thumb and forefinger, crimp rim of crust. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day. Makes 1 9-inch pie crust

No comments:

Post a Comment