Sunday, February 27, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake with Moscato Whipped Cream

If you know anything about me at all, you know that I rarely do anything the way everyone else does, especially when it comes to cooking. The first time I ever made strawberry shortcake myself, I didn't really know how anyone else had done it and so I just made up my own way of doing it! Basically, it was just a matter of pureeing one quart of strawberries and slicing another, adding a little bit of sugar, then maybe adding some orange juice or other form of beverage, and serving it over sponge or angel food cake with some whipped cream. It's yummy!
I had bought a two-pound container of strawberries when I went to Sam's Club with a friend the other day, and I've been so anxious for spring to get here that nothing sounded better than making this yummy treat! So, I went about cleaning the strawberries, slicing some of them, and then preparing the others for the blender when I had an idea. I immediately switched gears and went this way instead, which I must say is quite divine!
So, what I did was keep the sliced strawberries as I had them, but the other ones, which had been ready for the blender, I diced into smaller pieces. Then, sprinkled them with some sugar to get all the juices flowing and all that good stuff, and macerated them in my favorite, yummy Moscato d'Asti wine! The wine (I recommend using either the Cupcake or Luccio brand of Moscato d'Asti, but a fruity champagne would work too) goes exceptionally well with strawberries, so it sounded like a match made in heaven. Then, I had the idea to whip up some fresh cream and add some of the wine to that as well. What a brilliant idea!! :-D


Printable Recipe

2 lb. fresh strawberries
3 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
¼ c. Moscato d'Asti
Angel food cake

Moscato Whipped Cream:
2 c. heavy whipping cream
4 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar
½ c. Moscato d'Asti

For the strawberry sauce: Wash the strawberries and drain them on paper towels; cut off the stem end. Slice half of the strawberries and dice the other half, place them in a medium-sized bowl, sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar, and stir to combine. Cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator, letting the sugar macerate the strawberries. After a couple of hours, remove the strawberries from the refrigerator and stir them lightly; add in the Moscato d'Asti, cover the bowl again, and place back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours again, allowing the wine and strawberry flavors to marry.
For the Moscato Whipped Cream: Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks and then stir in the wine. Store any unused portion in an airtight container for up to 10 hours. When ready to use, rewhisk for 10 to 15 seconds.
Slice the angel food cake, spoon the strawberry mixture over the top, and then serve with a dollop of the whipped cream. Enjoy!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment