Thursday, March 24, 2011

Creamy Broccoli Slaw

Since I’m making Fish ‘N Chips, I think it’s only proper that I also make a coleslaw to go with it. While I was at the grocery store, I happened across a mix for Broccoli Coleslaw and I couldn’t pass it up as an alternative to the cabbage variety. While I actually like cabbage coleslaw, I thought the broccoli might be a nice change, in addition to being milder than cabbage. I’ve heard people say over and over again how they like to serve the coleslaw on top of the fish inside the sandwich and I thought I might like to try it, but I also didn’t want it to overpower the flavors in the battered fish - in this respect, I thought the broccoli would be a nice change from the norm.
Being that I’m trying to stay fairly authentic to the fish ‘n chips tradition, I thought it only logical that I try to replicate the coleslaw as closely as possible. I came across a recipe for coleslaw dressing on the Food Network UK website, and figured it couldn’t get much more authentic than that! Although I did change a few things, I liked the base of the recipe very much and so kept it mostly the same. One of the changes I did make was to the pineapple juice part of the recipe, because I had another idea in mind. A popular tradition is to eat this dish with malt vinegar sprinkled over the top, and I couldn’t help but think to incorporate it into the coleslaw, as I’ve seen several other coleslaw recipes call for some type of vinegar. I didn’t want anything too overpowering, though, so didn’t want to add all that much of it to the mix when I thought about how much I like lemon juice sprinkled over my fish and other seafood. How could one go wrong with a little bit of that thrown in too?! So, instead of the pineapple juice, I opted for a mixture of both the malt vinegar and the lemon juice. I also omitted the celery seed, because I’m not entirely fond of it – to me, it has a very overpowering, and not altogether pleasant, flavor. I did, however, sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top of my coleslaw before eating it, which I enjoyed very much. I will definitely be making this coleslaw again!


Printable Recipe

12 oz. packaged broccoli slaw mix (or make your own)
¼ oz. (5g) minced flat leaf parsley leaves
4¼ oz. (120g) prepared mayonnaise
3¼ oz. (95g) sour cream
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. malt vinegar
½ oz. (15g) sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. sesame seeds, optional

In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli slaw mix and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, malt vinegar, and sugar. Toss the vegetables with the dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.

2 comments:

  1. hi Sandie

    I have never had broccoli slaw but it sounds like a wonderful idea! I will have to give it a try.
    Its very nice to meet you!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chef Dennis!
    Thank you for stopping by! It's nice to meet you too! :-)
    I had never made broccoli slaw before either until just the other day, and I have to say that I actually kind of really prefer it over the cabbage variety. Unlike the cabbage one, this one doesn't get soggy right away, so you can actually make it a day in advance. I don't know about much farther than that, because it didn't last longer than a day! :-)
    Let me know what you think if you do try it!

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete