Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fresh Herb Mayonnaise

When I was writing about my oven fries, I got the idea for this mayonnaise to go with the fish, instead of tartar sauce. I had seen mention of something kinda sorta similar on the internet while doing my research, and I couldn’t help thinking how this might be a better option than the tartar sauce, which is really more of an American tradition anyways. As in my oven roasted potato wedges, the thyme has kind of a light lemony flavor and the parsley gives it a brighter and fresher flavor which complements the fish nicely. Again, because I used it in the coleslaw, I thought a touch of malt vinegar would be a nice addition, thereby making it unnecessary to add more again later on top of the fish, unless you really want to.
To be fair, I had been on the tartar sauce train from the start, but a simple mayonnaise seemed so much better in a sandwich that already has so many other flavors and textures going on. Especially with the bread I chose, which is covered in sesame seeds, I didn’t feel it necessary to add a lot more texture and flavor in a sauce. I also didn’t want a bunch of conflicting flavors going on throughout the entire dish, so it was important to me that I incorporate the same seasonings and flavors throughout. As it turns out, when everything is mixed together, this mayonnaise looks an awful lot like tartar sauce… It turned out to be a wonderful combination and complemented the fish nicely!


Printable Recipe

1 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, snipped
1 Tbsp. malt vinegar

Whisk mayonnaise, thyme, parsley, and vinegar in small bowl to blend. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Makes approximately 1 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment